Tuesday 28 August 2012

The return journey

I've been avoiding talking about this critical part of this trip - getting the bikes back home.
I've been avoiding talking about it because;
1. It's boring
2. I didn't want to think about the end of the trip
3. I hadn't got anything arranged!

It was always my intention to find a courier who was making a return journey to the UK via Nice with an empty truck. I posted the job 2 months ago on www.anyvan.com for truck drivers to bid to collect and deliver our bikes.
We had a fair amount of interest, starting with bids at £1000, but these soon dropped to £450ish - and then it was down to details of dates and insurances.
I had hopes to have this nailed down before we set off on the trip, but it wasn't! Half way through the week I admitted to the chaps that we didn't have a solution to get our bikes returned, and we got to thinking about alternative arrangements (including flying back later in the year to ride them home, or buying a trailer and getting a ball hitch fitted to my car).

But by Friday, things were starting to look up on Anyvan and we had a bid from a company who appeared to tick all our boxes. So we made an agreement, paid a deposit and now sit and wait to see if they do turn up on Thursday to collect. Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment