Wednesday 22 August 2012

Everything works out OK in the end

It hasn't yet, but I am sure it will.

2 enthusiastic young French fellas arrived after 40 minutes with a breakdown truck - they didn't speak English and judging by thier delight at seeing a Vespa, they didn't know the bike and were very keen to give it a spin (he had to ask me where the gears were :-/ and was shocked to hear it had no battery.

They confirmed that they would have done what I had already done (flush fuel, change plug) but he did wonder about the earth and started to test things with a length of grubby flex - he couldn't confirm anything one way or the other BUT when he test ran it, it did seen to be running better (hmm I've been fooled like this before!)

They talked among themselves and scratched their heads - they even consulted the Lycra clad cyclist who had stopped to watch what was going on - none of them had a clue. So we were left with a predicament; they could certainly take it away and get in to a workshop in the morning and I could get a cab to the campsite or as it seemed to be working ok, I could ride on "doigts croix" - they seemed quite keen on this option (and to be honest so was I) so on the promise that they would come back if I broke down in 10 minutes time, they scuttled back into thier truck and sped off

It was 10 pm. Dark. I was alone. I called Scott and Lorne - no answer (turns out both thier phones were flat!)
So I had no alternative but to try and find the campsite myself from the address Lorne had scribbled for me.
For those people who don't know the Vespa px - that doesn't have a battery - it does have a headlamp, but it might as well not have. A torch would be more effective. I gingerly made my way through winding French farm land stopping now and then to check google maps on my phone. It was pitch black, and the damp night smells were wonderful. It was quite an exciting 45 minute ride, and the bike appeared to be ok (doights croix)
I finally met up with Scott and Lorne when everyone else on the campsite was fast asleep. They'd got me a pizza :-)
As I went to put my bike on its stand on our tent pitch, I did it again - I dropped it on its side! (fortunately on thick grass) - I was exhausted - this has been a long day.
So, we are at last settled in our cosy tents on this beautiful campsite under the most enormous clear stary sky (somewhere between Le Mans and Tours)
My bike? Who knows how it will behave tomorrow, but as I say, I am sure everything will work out ok in the end

No comments:

Post a Comment